Tuesday, February 28, 2012

So we use our hands a lot, right?

I don't know any blogger, or any person for that matter, who does not rely on their hands on a daily basis. For me, I use my hands for something that I don't really talk about much here on my blog.

That's high school me! Haven't changed that much though :)
I'm an avid pianist. I've been playing the piano for about 16 years now. It is something that I am so very passionate about and I've spent a lot of time lately preparing and using my talents to prepare for a big recital in April. I think, in my preparations, I overdid it a bit. Unfortunately, about two weeks ago, I found out that I have carpal tunnel in both of my hands and wrists (which is when the tendons in your hands are inflamed and rub against one another, causing pain in the hands and wrists). Two weeks ago, it was so bad that typing just for a few minutes was painful, hence why my posts here on the blog haven't been what they usually are. I found out that I couldn't give my recital, something that I had been looking forward to for years, and that I had to take a lot of time off and couldn't work or accompany people, two things that I enjoy a great deal. It's been tough to take a step back from something that has been so natural for me, a part of my daily routine, and all the sudden it's had to take a backseat.

It was a bit heartbreaking, but things have been looking up for me! I've been going to occupational therapy sessions and learning techniques to strengthen my hands. I'm determined to become strong again so that I can, later on, give my recital and get "back to normal." I'm glad I caught it early.

However, despite the fact that I am slowly recovering, I was told to limit my computer time for "work" purposes. As a blogger, I was like what?! So I'm sorry that I have not been commenting as frequently on your beautiful posts as I normally do. Once my hands get stronger, I promise, I'll be back to normal!

That being said, some of my favorite bloggers have been so sweet to provide posts for the week! (I'm still wanting to show you my Fancies on Friday! Hello...it's Tangerine Tango!). So tomorrow Carly from a simple affair will be here, I'm so excited. I hope you will be too!

Thanks for being such loyal readers everyone. It really means the world to me that you come to my little neck of the blogosphere, you guys are the best!

~Susan

4 comments:

  1. Oh no Susan I hope you have a quick recovery!! We're missing you on the blogisphere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what I would do without the use of my hands. The things I take for granted. Hope you get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I truly love your positive attitude through all of this! I'll be thinking of you and so happy to post tomorrow :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! I worry that I have it sometimes... but I'm afraid to get it checked out! I played the piano all through high school, and in college I worked at Starbucks and so I've learned to work with my hands A LOT. Best of luck with your recovery!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet comments! They make my day and I appreciate every one!