Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Oh men...

Tonight I was just thinking about my love life...or rather my lack thereof. I'm not writing this because I want pity. That's not it at all. I love being single. But sometimes I just wish I had the guy. That person who just loves being with you and challenges you and fights so hard just for you. That kind of guy. But my faith in guys shifted the other day.

So last week had one of those beautiful Chicago Thursdays. I decided to go to the beach and read and enjoy the cool breeze and beautiful waves. It was perfect...until...

This group of guys shows up right in front of me. Not only were they rude and pretentious, but they were downright idiotic, saying all these things about how they treat women and also about how they treat themselves. I'm not one to eavesdrop, but they were very loud and I couldn't help but overhear. They talked about how they treat employees and family members and I was disgusted. They discussed all the horrible things they've done to others and to themselves and laughed it off like it was no big deal. Acting like big shots, they even thought they could get access to some drugs from minors. I'm going to pull a Carrie Bradshaw and say, "I couldn't help but wonder:" is chivalry really dead?

First off, I couldn't believe that these guys were talking this loud (the alcohol may have helped them with that) about all this stuff that one would NEVER talk about in public. Also, they knew that I was sitting directly behind them, and yet they continued to speak poorly about women. I guess my point is that I couldn't believe that these guys, who are educated men and most probably had good breeding somewhere down the line, were acting and speaking like this.

I'm no expert, but this is my public service announcement to all the ladies out there who are questioning their guys lately. You are worth it and deserve everything and if you are wondering if your guy is treating you right, think about how he acts and what he is doing. Make sure you talk things out so that he doesn't start to act like these guys did. I could not help but feel so sorry for the girls that were with these guys and how hurt they must've gotten. I know that they're now probably doing better than where they were with these losers. Every girl deserves to be happy and "have it all" when it comes to her guy, but don't settle for someone like this.

For someone who is currently single (and, I'll say it...looking), I am wondering where all the good guys are. I mean I know a flock of them don't just show up at your doorstep with a dozen yellow roses and take you away, but where are the guys that are respectful, caring, responsible, and even charming (because these guys were far from it)? It's been a long road for me in the love department, mainly because I've still yet to experience it. I'm patiently waiting my turn, and I know that someday, it's going to come. But I know that from this, I'm not going to settle for anything less than a person who cares, who is there, and, for that matter, has a soul! I know I won't, and my hope is that none of the other single ladies out there will. We deserve better! I don't want the perfect love story, but something little wouldn't hurt!

Until then, I'll just ride the wave and wait my turn, enjoying everything this life has in store for me. It wouldn't be bad if it looked like this either--------->

~Susan

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean, Susie-Q. Some of R's friends are just idiots. I have no respect for them. They talk about how much they steal and look down on others. They're only 19 for pete's sake! They don't know anything about reality, yet. They even slept over one night and tried to tie R up with zip ties and I had to get out of bed and put them in their place (I sternly told a soldier to remove his hands from R ad hand me his knife so I could cut R free.) I wasn't happy with any of them. I want to find people to hang out with that know how to be adults and couples and fun. Watch movies, talk about the world, play bananagrams, talk about jobs and kids....I'm sick of immature boys. I want a man who earns my respect and respects me as well (thankfully I found most of that in R). GIve it time, real men still exist. And there are some single ones!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet comments! They make my day and I appreciate every one!