Monday, March 5, 2012

Guest Post: Meg from Henning love

Happy Monday friends! Again, in efforts to rest my wrists (which are getting better! Thank you for all of your thoughts!), I have one of my favorite bloggers here today. Meg from henning love! She has such an amazing attitude and creates some amazingly delicious recipes! Here's a sweet she made for us today:




Hello a little ray of Sunshine followers! I am here to help Susan out and to share with you a really really good recipe. Over on my blog, henning love, I love to post about baked goods and normally I think what I make is good but I bit into these, I thought wow I am a really good baker. It is Girl Scout Cookie season and while I love those cookies and want to help out those girls sell the cookies, I actually haven't seen any girls yet. So I decided to make my own samoas, you know those shortbread cookies with a caramel coconut layer on top with a drizzle of chocolate to finish it off. I turned those cookies into the bar form and when you bite into them, you will say to yourself wow, these are really really good and I am a really really good baker. On to the recipe!

First, gather together your ingredients:
1/2 cup white sugar, 3/4 cup softened butter (1 1/2 stick), 1 egg, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, 2 cups all-purpose flour, 12 oz chewy caramels, 3 cups shredded unsweetened or sweetened coconut, 3 tablespoons milk, 10 oz. semi-sweet chocolate (chips are fine if you want).
Preheat your oven to 300 degrees.
Line your baking sheet with parchment paper and then sprinkle the 3 cups of shredded coconut, you will toast the coconut for about 25 minutes. Turn the coconut over every 5 minutes. When the coconut is golden and toasty, take it out and let the coconut cool.
Then increase the oven temperature up to 350 degrees. 
In your mixing bowl, cream the butter then add in the sugar and cream these two ingredients until it is light and fluffy.
Add in the egg and vanilla extract.
Mix all these ingredients together. Add in the flour.
In a 9X13 pan, press the shortbread dough and bake the dough for 20-25 or until the top is lightly golden.
In a microwave-safe bowl, add the caramels and the milk, and melt the caramels down until smooth.
Once the caramels have been melted completely, add in the toasted coconut and mix it together thoroughly.
Spread the caramel and coconut mixture over the cooled shortbread base.
 Let the caramel-coconut mixture cool and then cut them into squares. Melt the chocolate and dip the bottom of the squares into the chocolate.
Drizzle some of the chocolate on the top part of the bar, then let the chocolate cool.  Then serve, eat and enjoy!

Yum! I'd eat these in a minute, definitely want to try this recipe!! Doesn't Meg do a wonderful job of taking us step by step? Ah I love it! I can't wait to try this out. Thanks so much Meg!

I hope you all had wonderful weekends everyone! 

~Susan

5 comments:

  1. OMG My mouth is watering! These are amazing and look delish! Susan thanks for coming by and I'm happy to have you as a friend! Your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow!! This looks amazing!! We love Meg!!

    Jayme @ Her Late Night Cravings

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, these look amazing! Meg is so sweet

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! these look incredible! You are both amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet comments! They make my day and I appreciate every one!