Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Lighten your load

I am probably the worst example of saying no. I don't say it. I think it's really never been in my vocabulary because I am such a people pleaser! (all you people pleasers out there raise their hands!). Especially around the holidays though I thought it would be important to tell everyone to lighten their loads.


We are all so concerned about the rush, about doing our best, making this the "best year ever" and thinking that the world is going to end if we don't find the perfect gift, have the perfect meal, or help every single person we can think of that has ever asked for a favor. I am a prime example of this. I'm always needing to stretch myself in ten million different directions, being pulled thinner and thinner and thinner every time that eventually I snap! (which is why I'm sitting here, sick with lots of Vicks Vapo Rub, orange juice, cheap Walgreen's cough drops...and OC reruns. Guilty pleasures get me every time!).

I get sick, tired, and definitely not myself.

I can't do it anymore.

We carry too much on our backs all the time, and we like to show that we can handle it, but after awhile, it just wears us down like a ton of heavy packages. I know you all know the feeling, so here's what I plan to do:

This next year, I'm letting people know that I need to care just as much about myself as I do about helping them. I want to be sure that I am getting my own needs accomplished in addition to being the best I can be for others.

What I'm saying is, lighten your load.

Recognize what's really important and embrace that to its fullest.

I'm not saying not to help others that need you. That's definitely not what I'm saying. If I didn't do favors for others and make that a priority in my life, I probably wouldn't be standing. But I know that everyone needs to lighten their loads and realize what's truly worth it.

I could name a whole slew of things that I could be lightening my load with. What would you choose? Have your ever thought about this before? Now more than ever, make  a priority for you!

Just some thoughts for your Hump Day. Hope everyone gets through it alright!

~Susan

3 comments:

  1. I do need to refocus what's important in my life. There is just too much to do and I end up not enjoying it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, I'm so excited to see this New Year's resolution of sorts for you! You'll be great, just take time for you! Guilty pleasures are a must! :^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so inspirational and you talk sense. That’s important. You’re intelligent and you have a lot of heart. I love your posts! Thank you!
    self storage australia | storage australia | self storage solutions

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet comments! They make my day and I appreciate every one!